6K Full Frame Exmor R sensor
The Sony FX9‘s 6K FF sensor records 4K, Ultra HD and HD.
Compared to a 4K Super 35mm sensor, the FX9’s 6K sensor has over twice the surface area, providing a wider angle of view, making it easier to gain a shallower depth of field.
15+ stops dynamic range
FX9 offers 15+ stops of dynamic range for better color grading and post.
FX9 captures every nuance and detail using either 4K 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording or 16-bit RAW external recording.
Dual Base ISO for any light conditions
The FX9’s dual ISO function offers far greater flexibility: Its low base sensitivity of ISO 800 is similar to most other digital cinema cameras offering an excellent balance between dynamic range and sensitivity for most normal types of production and with its secondary High Base ISO of 4000 excels in low light conditions without adding extra gain.
Low light scenes can be shot using High Base and 4000 ISO with near identical image quality to Low Base and 800 ISO.
Combining Dual Base ISO with the camera’s electronic variable ND Filter provides superb control in almost any shooting environment, with truly next generation responsiveness to changing conditions.
16-bit RAW capability
Sony FX9, supports export of 16-bit RAW at either 4K or 2K resolution using the optional XDCA-FX9 extension.
Ergonomics & accessory compatibility
The control arm is easily adjusted without tools, so FX9 adapts effortlessly to your physique and preferred shooting style – handheld, at waist level or shoulder mounted.
The smart grip also features an updated design, more compact than before while still holding all the key shooting controls, allowing you to concentrate on the scene without distractions.
FX9 also introduces a micro USB interface for improved responsiveness and support for a wrist strap.
Electronic variable ND filter
The Sony FX9 has an electronic variable ND filter built-in filter.
Set to Auto, or adjust filter density manually in smooth increments from 1/4 to 1/128 as you shoot, for perfectly exposed images without affecting depth of field as lighting conditions change.
Quick menu control with touch operation
The FX9’s LCD Viewfinder has a quick access control menu for commonly accessed features:
- Codec, Imager Scan mode, Picture Size and frequency
- Base ISO/Sensitivity
- Shooting Mode
- Audio Levels
Adds shoulder-style operation, advanced networking
Further extend the capabilities of the FX9 with the optional XDCA-FX9 extension unit that optimises camera weight distribution and ergonomics for comfortable shoulder-style shooting – ideal for ENG (Electronic News Gathering) and documentary applications.
The extension unit also adds advanced networking for streaming/file transfers and Timecode for multi-camera shoots.
Eye AF & Focus Touch Control
High speed, high precision image processing maintains a pin-sharp focus.
Focus Touch Control allows you to precisely set the camera’s specific focus area by simply touching the LCD viewfinder.
Customisable AF settings
7-level AF transition speeds from Fast – switching between subjects as quickly as possible – to Slow, where speed is reduced to fit a more measured shooting style, such as a historical TV drama.
5-level AF subject shift sensitivity ranges from Locked-on – ignoring other moving subjects in the frame – to Responsive that switches focus from one subject to another – ideal for snapping between race cars as they speed by.
The FX9 features internal 5GHz and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi capability as standard.
Just switch on and log onto your preferred network to enable a host of advanced wireless production features:
- Content Browser Mobile: The PXW-FX9 can be controlled remotely from a smartphone or tablet computer via a Wi-Fi connection. Adjust the exposure level, zoom, Record/Stop and more via your mobile device.
- FTP Transfer allows content files to be sent over the internet for remote storage on an FTP server even while shooting. In case of signal interruption, the system will automatically resume as soon as connection restored.
- Trimming allows you to set start and end points in a clip.
- XDCAM air can upload proxy footage to the cloud from multiple camera operators in the field.
|35mm 6K Full frame CMOS|
|3840 x 2160 px|
|35,7 x 18,8 mm|
Clear, linear variable ND (1/4ND to 1/128ND)
180fps at Full HD
60fps at 4K
|XAVC IntraXAVC Long|
MPEG-2 Long GOP
Recording bitrate (min-max) 25 fps
|2x XQD1 x SDXC/Memory Stick PRO Duo Hybrid|
2x XLR3 Mic/Line + 48V
Sony Cinema Line
The Cinema Line is the brand that encompasses al digital cinema equipment by Sony.
Nowadays, four cameras are included in this range:
- Sony Venice: Next generation motion picture camera system with forward thinking full frame sensor, phenomenal colour science and user-friendly operation.
- Sony FX9: Stunning full frame cinematography, optimised for fast workflow
- Sony FX6: Inside a compact body that’s ready for grab-and-shoot action, the FX6 packs a highly sensitive, full-frame image sensor with the power to expand your moviemaking creativity.
- Sony FX3: With enhanced mobility for easy solo shooting, alongside pro operability, it’s the ideal creative tool to capture a cinematic vision anywhere.
Some of our E-mount full frame suitable lenses.
Sony FX9 introduction
Sony FX9 set-up
Sony FX9 lenses and autofocus
Sony FX9 audio options
16-bit RAW guide
Sony FX9 advanced recording modes
Sony FX9 connectivity
Sony PXW-FX9 y Zeiss Supreme Prime footage
Sony PXW-FX9: 16-bit RAW output sample footage
Sony PXW-FX9: S-Cinetone sample footage